31.5.11

The World Doesn't Stand Still

It is almost midnight. Summer break so the kids are all still up. They are watching something on the internet that has them all cracking up. I watched a silly horror movie with Kevin Costner in it. I ate Taco Bell for dinner with a large Mountain Dew. Tomorrow Keira starts her acting classes and Donovan has a dentist appointment. Maybe Barnes and Noble with call me about an interview. It seems as if nothing is different. Everything is good, right?

The fact is my mom called at 2 this afternoon and told me I should drive to Deming because she wasn't going to make it through the night. She knew she was going to die. Arianna came with me, so brave for a ten year old to face what very well may be the death of a loved one. She knew the implications and came anyway. I went. Not because I thought my mother was going to die but because I knew if she did and I wasn't there I would never forgive myself. I told Mike is was like prophylactic guilt protection. I didn't go to what I called the Death Watch because I wanted or needed to say goodbye to her or because I didn't want her to be alone but because I knew I would feel guilty if I wasn't there.

All the grief that a daughter can feel bottled up into one crystalline moment that shatters when my mother said "I made a mistake, I didn't really need you. Go home."

And so here I sit, the world still turning and everything feeling all normal as if it will go on like this forever. But it won't because one day she really will die and what if that guilt isn't enough to sucker me into her drama next time... or the time after that... or the time after that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My great aunt was convinced that every day was her last...for fourteen years. In her case, she wasn't trying to guilt anyone. She wanted to die, because she outlived two husbands, her younger sister, and all her friends. She finally died a few months before her 101st birthday. Every time I visited her, I was afraid I'd be the one to 'find' her.

Just know you've done all you've been able to. A person's heart can only take so much leading on before it naturally steels itself against harm. Don't feel guilty- you're a great daughter, with three great kids. You have a life that shouldn't be constantly strained by something like this. I'm sorry about all this. I'm scared my mom is gradually entering this behavior sometimes.